When Boulder Brands UK Ltd, a Gluten Free bakery in Deeside, won a contract with a major retailer to supply own-brand products, they needed extra resource to ensure the product was launched in time. They did not want to take on a full-time temporary packaging technologist as there was not enough work for them to justify this. I was engaged directly by the company to work 2-3 days per week, two days on site, the remainder working from home, initially for a few weeks. Whilst I was there I;
- Project managed the launch of packaging for 23 new own label products plus subsequent redesigns
- Specified packaging materials and dimensions for a number of bakery products over a variety of formats – flow-wrap, wicketted bags, cartons, high barrier vacuum pouches and shelf-ready packaging.
- Wrote and approved the packaging specs
- Managed the artwork approval process internally and with the retailer
- Conducted the necessary line trials
- Liaised with packaging suppliers to ensure packaging delivered to the site in time for launch
After the initial launch of 10 lines, I worked on the introduction of further ROB lines for the same customer, another major retailer and also on Boulder Brand’s own brand – Udis.
After a number of months, it became clear that a full-time packaging professional was now required by the business. I assisted with the recruitment process and once the permanent position was filled, stayed on for another few weeks to ensure a successful handover period.