When the inventor of the flat wine bottle, Garçon Wines wanted to move production of their unique bottle from China to the UK, they needed help in sourcing the right manufacturer. I was engaged to advise on materials and manufacturing methods and to recommend a suitable manufacturer. Now a manufacturing route has been chosen, I continue to offer support and advise throughout the supply chain on barriers, shelf-life, alternative materials, secondary and transit packaging, new shapes and overseas manufacturing.
“What Sarah doesn’t know about packaging would fit on, well, a very tiny package indeed.“ Garçon Wines website
“Sarah, you play a fundamental part as a key advisor to our business. It’s been great and we look forward to continued collaboration as we expand nationally and globally. Flat is the new round!” Santiago Navarro, CEO and Co-founder, Garçon Wines.
Boulder Brands UK Ltd
When Boulder Brands UK Ltd, a Gluten Free bakery in Deeside, won a contract with a major retailer to supply own-brand products, they needed extra resource to ensure the product was launched in time. They did not want to take on a full-time temporary packaging technologist as there was not enough work for them to justify this. I was engaged directly by the company to work 2-3 days per week, two days on site, the remainder working from home, initially for a few weeks. Whilst I was there I;
- Project managed the launch of packaging for 23 new own label products plus subsequent redesigns
- Specified packaging materials and dimensions for a number of bakery products over a variety of formats – flow-wrap, wicketted bags, cartons, high barrier vacuum pouches and shelf-ready packaging.
- Wrote and approved the packaging specs
- Managed the artwork approval process internally and with the retailer
- Conducted the necessary line trials
- Liaised with packaging suppliers to ensure packaging delivered to the site in time for launch
After the initial launch of 10 lines, I worked on the introduction of further ROB lines for the same customer, another major retailer and also on Boulder Brand’s own brand – Udis.
After a number of months, it became clear that a full-time packaging professional was now required by the business. I assisted with the recruitment process and once the permanent position was filled, stayed on for another few weeks to ensure a successful handover period.